Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Purdue Raises Tuition Fees


Purdue University wants to raise tuition an unprecedented 5.2 percent for in state students and 6 percent for out of state students. This is the biggest increase among all public Indiana Universities. I understand Purdue University is investing most of this money into the university building new state of the art facilities, dorms, and parking garages but do we really need brand new side by side practice football fields, basketball arena, and workout facility? Do not get me wrong, I am all for having new facilities but not during these tough economic times. Purdue needs to weigh its options and only put money towards projects that truely benefit the students and not the athletes. I am aware that Purdue athletics are a means of making money but I think they would have been just fine leaving Mackey Arena as is for the next four to five years and waiting for the economy to bounce back. With that said, I can't complin too much because I truely am excited to see how everything will look when it's finished. I just took a brief tour through the new Armstrong Building last week and to be honest I was speechless. It was an amazing building with all kinds of state of the art work shop areas so as long as my raises tuition expenses keeps getting invested towards projects like this buidling I will be satisified. I just hope Purdue takes into account this current financial situation we are all in and only raises it in moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment