Monday, December 7, 2009

E-Voting... Good idea?

A while back during lecture we were presented with the idea of how voting might work within a century from now and how voting might take place all online. At first I did not even like the sound of this for many reasons. The first one being, how reliable could this new e-voting technology really be? If everything is done online, how would we have any physical evidence of who voted and verification? Meaning, e-voting to me seems to put the all America's trust with computers and the I.T. department running these systems and who's to say these guys aren't getting paid off to add a couple million votes? After all, the way I see it, there really isn't any way as of now to trace who actually voted. Call me a skeptic but are we getting that lazy that Americans simply cannot wait in line to cast votes? Do not get me wrong, for the physically disabled I believe this would be a great idea but for everyone else, we can wait in line. There are some good things that come with this like reduced paper consumption, most likely a huge increase in voter turn out, and no lines but i really do not like the idea that we put our trust into the hands of computers and the "people" handling these votes. They would have to come up with some way to physically make it impossible for anybody, including the guys running these computers, to add any extra votes and prevent any inside jobs. So until this is developed I am completely against E-Votoing.

No comments:

Post a Comment